Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I died for Beauty -- but was scarce

I died for Beauty -- but was scarce 
by Emily Dickinson



Image: "Noumeno" by Giorgia Napoletano
    I died for Beauty -- but was scarce
    Adjusted in the Tomb
    When One who died for Truth, was lain
    In an adjoining room --
He questioned softly "Why I failed"?
"For Beauty", I replied --
"And I -- for Truth -- Themself are One --
We Brethren, are", He said --

And so, as Kinsmen, met a Night --
We talked between the Rooms --
Until the Moss had reached our lips --
And covered up -- our names --
What intrigued me to this poem was the title, "I died for Beauty." I have found that many poems about death can be fascinating, because they often deal with a reflection about the purpose of one someones life. I also find myself fascinated with beauty, and believe that I live my life in pursuit of it. This poem discusses two people who have died, one who had lead a life devoted to beauty, and another who had devoted themselves to truth. I interpret the statement that they are "brethren" to mean that that beauty can be found in truth, and thus the truth is beautiful. I also perceive them to be "kinsmen" in death, and they only stop speaking to one another when "the Moss had reached our lips -- And covered up -- our names --" I believe this means that they have been forgotten by the living, and have lost their individual identity. It is when their identity is gone that that truly become part of the dead. 
I really enjoyed the subject matter of this poem and the way it was written; and I chose it because after reading it I wanted to analyze and think about what its real meaning was. 



No comments:

Post a Comment